Where was I on Canada Day…
- 2006? hanging out in downtown Ottawa with friends from Sherbrooke.
- 2005? again, hanging out in Ottawa and getting nice and stuck in the crowds on Parliament Hill.
- 2004? moving back to Ottawa from Quebec and experiencing some severe culture shock.
- 2003? delivering pizza in Drummondville.
- 2002? watching the fireworks at the Vieux-Port of Montreal, after a week in New York City that culminated in me performing at Carnegie Hall with Voices of Bahá.
On a related note, I saw the renowned Abha Voices perform on Friday, and they put on quite the show, performing several numbers from their repertoire, all based on the Baha’i Writings. It was incongruous—yet immensely refreshing!—to hear the following words sung on this otherwise nationalistic occasion: “Let not a man glory in this, that he loves his country; let him rather glory in this, that he loves his kind.”
Update (2007-07-02): the photos from canada day 2007 are gradually going up on flickr; check ’em out and keep your eyes open for more. more photos are available on Facebook, including chronicles of the visit of a group of Baha’i Youth from Montreal’s West Island!